Wednesday 7 October 2015

RESEARCH: PREVIOUS PRODUCTIONS

I have had a look at 10 previous productions created by students at our centre. I think that by doing this it could help me learn a few new techniques when I have to begin creating a film opening or a short film.

One of the thing I learned by looking at other people's work is that lighting is very important when filming. The lighting can change the whole mood and effect on a shot if it is not taken care of. One of the productions I watched had natural lighting coming in from a window just like my group had for our prelim exercise. The previous students had a shot where the lighting hit the veil of the girl in the film and made her look angelic which is an example of a way to use lighting in our favour to create an atmosphere or character.

The second thing I have learnt from doing this is that another important feature is editing. Previous students used programmes such as Adobe after effect or iMovie to edit their productions and this was effective as it made it look professional and made the opening sequence/film flow better. However some titles were not made using an editing programme but were handmade. For example a previous production used guitar picks with letters written on them to spell out the title desired which was relevant to their movie and theme.

Furthermore, the last thing I found interesting to learn about is the sound in the productions. Voice over was used by one of the previous groups for a horror movie. This creates tension and mystery and is therefor effective to the theme of horror. Sound can be diegetic or non-diegetic and can also be edited on programs such as iMovie.

No comments:

Post a Comment